Today, we're sharing how to make a Hanfu clothing: Song Dynasty shirt. Let's DIY your own Hanfu.
A Video explanation is available at the bottom of the article
- The characteristics of the Song-shirt are long sleeves and front opening. When wearing, the front can be folded.
- The length from the back center to the shoulder is 1/4 of the full length. For overlapping, 1/4BL(bustline)=25CM, armhole depth 23cm.
- Sleeves can be straight or narrow.
- Neckline width is 9cm, draw a vertical line in the direction of the hem at the shoulder neck points, i.e. the front. The front is almost straight. There's only a little radian around the corner of the neckline, you can make your front part bigger if you have enough fabric.
- Prepare a piece of fabric firs. First, fold out the length of a garment along the direction of the weft line.
- Draw on the fabric at 1:1 size according to the layout you just drew.
- Cut the neckline, Be careful that the collar is a single layer, so don't cut the bottom layer off.
- Half of the body will be ready. Cut off the other half of the body symmetrically.
- Cut out two parts with a width of 12cm and an equal length of the front, ready to make a collar.
- Two rectangular narrow edges are sewn together, with the stitching line just at the back center of the bodice, and then the back is ironed on, taking care to iron through the cotton fabric.
- Make four 35cm long, 4cm wide rectangle lacing strips.
- Let's start stitching, can sewing the middle of the back at first. Second, sew sleeves. Then sew the side seam.
- Finally, sew the collar. Sew the strips into the inside of the neckline.
- It is important to iron the neckline and underarm corners and to iron all the stitches as well.
The Song Dynasty was characterized by simplicity and generosity, so this Song shirt is very suitable for novice practice. With a Song Dynasty two-piece skirt. What do you think of such a suit? More about Hanfu dress & Hanfu make can click here.
How to Make a Hanfu- Song shirt video explanation:
More about Hanfu making:
Creative License: The article is the author original, udner (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0) Copyright License. Share & Quote this post or content, please Add Link to this Post URL in your page. Respect the original work is the best support for the creator, thank you!
Very helpful post, thank you! Though I'm a bit stuck with adjusting the measurements to my own body. Are there perhaps some guidelines to this?
You can refer to the method of measurement in this article: https://www.newhanfu.com/34248.html
Hoping to make this perfectly one day
im just starting, and this is really helpful, thank youu!
So simple and elegant, nice instruction and video, thanks
So glad and grateful for these instructions. 👍❤️